Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Election Day

A few of my favorite moments from Election Day returns

What is your top patriotic moment?
Megan: Singing patriotic songs for Barry Goldwater
Nicky: Singing National Anthem at school olympics
Shannon: "I'll get back to you"
Megan wins this round

-The Extreme Keys sing National Anthem. I am the only person I see to stand up. OMP taught me well. After standing amongst the crowd of chairs for a few moments the girl next to me mutters "she's right you know" and joins me. That was a quality moment. I then sat down and reported my terrorist pinko commie friends to homeland security.
-Poll workers send word that we were all lovely today and that they would love for us to vote again. We all give ourselves a cheer, we really think highly of ourselves. I wonder what would happen if they didn't think we were lovely. Would they take away our voting rights?
-People start cheering because Philadelphia is on the news. What they don't realize is that we're watching NBC10. Dawn Timmeney is not some hot shot new network anchor...just a Philly news anchor (and George School grad!)
-The CNN guy with the pedo 'stache uses his magic pen to write Bush Bush Bush all over the map. Giggles ensue
-MEGAN WON A RAFFLE! Our streak is over. It's an election day miracle
-I WON A RAFFLE! There are rumors that the raffle was rigged so that I'd win. I will not address those rumors *shifty eyes*, alright fine, I had the raffle rigged, so sue me. Best part was right as they called my number Brian Williams announced that Ohio had gone Obama. Place went nuts, I assumed it was going nuts for me...nope, not at all.
-We switched locations. We are now at Paige's friend Ursulas apartment. She has beer, food and cable. I'm extremely disappointed in the Daily Show coverage right now. Ursula's dog is trying to eat my thesis. I'm doing little to stop her.
-Obama Wins! We decide to do a shot. All Ursula has is Peach Schnaps. It'll have to do. Sweet Jesus that was awful. Says Nicky: It tastes like hope! Hope tastes a little like burning.
-We debate whether or not Chris Matthews was correct to say that we've "changed history". I claim that you cannot change history, Megan claims it's a non-issue.
-Word comes though that all the gay marriage bans have gone through. Our mood drops. Obama better have a quality acceptance speech.
-Ursula-"Man, Obama must be really psyched" uhhh....yea, one could say that
-Obama's girls are getting a puppy. That's all I needed to hear, I'm sold.
-Walk back to Bryn Mawr, people drive by and honk their horns. It's very reminiscent of the Phillies winning. I hope this becomes a regular event, it's fun! This walk is longer than we imagined it would be
-We hear cheering in the distance, as we get closer we make out Annassing (Bryn Mawr's special cheer)...and fireworks....is Bryn Mawr...celebrating? Are they actually....having fun? A police car drives by us, good God! Is Bryn Mawr rioting? Answer? no. We get to campus and we just hear the faint sounds of cheering and annassing through the trees. It's almost poetic. A small group of underclassmen gather and shout O-BAM-A. In the distance I see some Obama streakers. Still, nothing of the riot that I could have sworn I heard. Rumor has it we missed quite the spectacle when world first came that he had won. Around me cheers emerge from the darkness, faceless cries of hope and dreams yet to be crushed. The underclassmen wonder aloud if any seniors are around to start the annass. Nicky walks by with a smile and casually throws out an ANNASSA! The gathered crowd, unable to start the Annass due to their underclassmen status, follow suit with KATA KALE! IA IA IA NIKE! BRYN MAWR! BRYN MAWR! BRYN MAWR! OBAMAAAAAAA! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! It's a moment. It's a start of something new.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was a beautiful post :)