Monday, November 3, 2008

The Most Dangerous Weekend Ever

On Friday afternoon my e-mail inbox overflowed. E-mail after e-mail from the deans reminding us of proper safety procedures. Most of these were pertaining to our Halloween party, which is widely agreed to be not only Bryn Mawr's best party, but our only party. I had to give a laugh when the final safety e-mail came up "White Hot Lantern Safety". Last night was Lantern Night (we'll get to that later) and this was an e-mail about how to handle your lantern without getting burned. Nicky was a bit overwhelmed and deemed this the "most dangerous weekend ever".
So what happened?
I don't really know how to accurately describe Halloween without ruining my chances for post-graduation employment. So I'll just put up this picture instead



Remember when I said that Grizzly Man inspired my Halloween costume? Nicky went as Grizzly Man and I went as the bear that killed him. We took some creative license. I went as "Mr Chocolate" from the film. Mr Chocolate was not the bear that killed Grizzly Man, but he definitely had the best name. I apologize for slandering the name of a good bear. I live in fear that we're going to end up on one of those college websites that call people out for inappropriate Halloween costumes. Also, funny story. My friend Shannon has a job making videos about college life for Unigo.com. She was interviewing us for a movie about our Halloween costumes when Nicky gave this gem
Nicky: Well, this Halloween costume was pretty easy to make. I just took a white t-shirt and put some paint on it to look like blood. Last year I was a derranged nurse so I just....took a white t-shirt and put some paint on it.....

For someone so good at crafting you would think she'd be a bit more creative.

Last night was Lantern Night, one of our 4 major traditions. Every student gets a lantern in their class color (mine is red). They're really pretty and it's nice to have something that every graduate of Bryn Mawr for the past 100 years also has. Last night the Frosh recieved their lanterns. As much as I love to bitch about Bryn Mawr when I'm up to my ears in work, I can't lie, the traditions are fun. Lantern Night is hard to explain as you're all going to think I'm crazy. So I'm going to put it this way, have you ever seen The Skulls? Then you've seen Lantern Night. Robes, greek chanting, darkness and candles (in the lanterns)...if it wasn't so poignant it would be hilarious. I'm having a problem here because I really want to make fun of Lantern Night, it's just that creepily crazy....but it's also really beautiful. For a good half hour I loved Bryn Mawr. Then I remembered the paper that I was writing that was due last week and the rough draft of both my thesis and my research paper that are due next week and I promptly started swearing again. 
It's crunch time. I'm not allowed to have any fun for the next month and a half. If you see me having fun or hear that I had fun, slap me. It's all downhill after that. 



3 comments:

Sarah Moody said...

i tried to explain plenary to hannah this weekend... it didn't really work

Marianna said...

Plenary's not a tradition...it's just hell.

Shannon said...

Epic:

http://www.unigo.com/Explorer/Videos/Video.aspx?CollegeId=18&UserType=0&VideoId=22594