Four years ago my family found the Homestead Resort in Hot Springs, VA. Caroline had recently been deported from England and she was sad so clearly a family vacation was needed. I was not included on this family vacation, it's a sore subject. Long story short they loved it. It was the perfect mix of class and history that is needed in a BFV. The Homestead is one of the last remaining classy old-money mountain resorts that used to be popular in the early 20th century. Here people wait on you hand and foot, open doors for you, pull out your chair and basically stop only just short of physically moving your feet to allow you to get from place to place. It is elitist and fantastic. For some reason our family likes to imagine that if we were a family in the early 20th century we would be one of these high-class wealthy families who would "summer" places. While our pretty stellar education background would support this theory, we are doomed by our vowel-ending last name and ruddy Irish complexion. Luckily racism has evolved since then and our prep school pedigree makes us acceptable Homestead visitors.
The next year I was invited on the BFV when they decided to return to this land of milk and honey. I packed up my dresses and skirts and prepared to live the lifestyle that I believed I had been deprived of for so long. The days that followed were incredible. At dinner in the dining room every night I would enjoy filet mignon while men in tuxedos and women in clothes that cost more than my car danced to a classy band. The days were spent swimming in the indoor pool that looked like something out of Daddy Warbucks house or lounging with a book in the library amongst potted palms (I am of the belief that potted palms are the ultimate in class). It was like being on the Titanic without the unfortunate sinking episode. This was clearly the Bogucki Family heaven that we had been missing for so long. We returned home from vacation and immediately began saving for our next visit.
As you may have heard, I recently graduated from college. My summer boss began asking how soon I would be able to work and I realized that I would need to get out of town for at least a week following graduation if I wanted any hope of a vacation this summer. Mom began making suggestions, including such exotic places as Bermuda, a cross country trip out west and family favorite Pittsburgh. I met each one of these with excitement although secretly waiting for the news that we had saved up enough to return to the Homestead. OMP and Caroline each said that they were going to have to pass on this BFV as they were busy with...whatever it is that they do with their lives. With only Mom and I attending this vacation, it was determined that yes, a trip to the Homestead would be doable. A room was booked and excitement began to build. OMP got wind that we were going to the Homestead and suddenly end of the year chaos at Princeton disappeared and he was completely free. Caroline heard Homestead and suddenly her busy schedule of baking brownies and playing flip-cup was freed up and she hopped on board as well. I was pumped, it was going to be an honest to goodness BFV.
Longest introduction to a story ever.
At 5 in the morning two days after graduation I was dragged out of bed and directed towards the car. OMP began to load the car and I began to supervise. Clearly I was terrible at my job as I didn't notice that he forgot my shoe bag (not as classy as it sounds, it was a GS tote bag with some shoes in it). We'll come back to this. We set off into the early morning, slowly chipping away at the 7 hour drive ahead of us. The ride to the resort is one of the best parts. We are a very Northern centric family. There is no mistaking that. We RARELY go south of the Mason-Dixon line, which is strange considering it's creepily close by. Caroline's move to DC has forced us to cross that mysterious line far more times than I would like. Our ride through rural Virginia is as exotic to us as Europe. We pass through Kelsey's new town and I realize that yes, a lot of cows do live there, she is not lying to us. We twist our way through small towns, stop at a gas station with a surprisingly lovely bathroom before eventually making it the top of the mountain. Here we stop to enjoy the serenity before descending down the mountain to nirvana.
We pass by the Jefferson Baths (we'll get to those later) and twist our way into Hot Springs where the Homestead rises up before us, calling us to the lifestyle that we wish we had become accustomed to.
(Note: Picture definitely not taken by me)
Unfortunately our room wasn't ready and as we had been up since 5 in the morning we were quite tired. We gave the front desk our number and colonized the library. Within 5 minutes we had all passed out on lounge chairs (amongst the potted palms). At one point the gardener came by and started watering the palms, I think she almost watered Mom as well. Our vacation wasn't off to a classy start......
Coming up in part II: Al the Nature Guide and the shocking realization that even dreams aren't recession proof.

2 comments:
Ah, so OMP likes to go on BFVs. We're going to become a family of acronyms.
On another note, I can't anonymously post on your other blog (I don't want people googling my AIM screen name) so I'll have to comment here...how did you go from Day 37 to Day 29?
-sis
I will fix that. Someone in the office yelled at me because I labeled the first entry Day 1 then didn't update with a Day 2 the next day. So I've started randomly numbering them to mess with him.
Post a Comment