Sunday, March 1, 2009

Snowflakes That Stay On My Nose and Eyelashes

Two updates in one weekend? Wow, it's almost as if I don't have a social life. I'll have you know I attended not one, but TWO Princeton b-ball games with OMP this weekend. If that's not a social life then I don't know what is. 
Anyway, yes, I am aware that I am lame and update this blog far more often than coolness allows. I have an excuse to update today, though, because there's a snowstorm going down! At least that's what weather.com told me. I haven't looked out my window yet because I'm afraid to jinx it. There are two types of snow-related days here, and both end in sorrow and pain. The first is the big build up of hype the day before a so called "storm". At the last minute that storm moves ever so slightly to the east and we're left with mud. Lots and lots of mud. You race to your computer in vain and all that you get is an e-mail from head of P-Safe Mike Hill telling you that classes are still in session. Also, since everyone freaked out about the storm, there is salt everywhere. So there is mud and salt on your shoes and pant legs. Mud and salt might be that ultimate stain combination that just drives you insane. Nothing makes your feel more dirty than mud caked on your pants, the water from which is soaking through and making you cold. Add the salt to that and you watch as your pants stiffen and discolor. It's terrible and almost makes me consider wearing capri pants if it weren't so damn cold. 
The second is the "ARE YOU KIDDING ME!". This is when you wake up and you can't see out of your one, slightly horizontal (I'm not bitter) window because the snow is piled high on top. You race through the dorm until you find a window that you can see out of and discover that the world is a winter wonderland of pristine snow. 10 inches at least sit on the ground, 10 inches of beautiful fluffy joy. You run back upstairs and sit down to send out e-mails of glee to anyone who cares about you and your happiness only to find that dreaded e-mail from Mike Hill, "Classes are in session, please use caution". Facebook statuses fill your mini-feed, cursing Mike Hill, questioning why there isn't a snow day. You look out your window, remember that again, you can't see anything because your one skylight is horizontal and covered in snow, and just cry a little inside. 
Long story short, just like GS never gave snow days, Bryn Mawr does not either. I have some sort of masochistic desire to go to schools that don't give snow days or holidays. Some would say that's because I am motivated and want to use every moment to succeed. No, no it is not, I am lazy and would love any minute I could off of any form of obligation. I have one class tomorrow. It's my favorite class that I have this semester. I would not spend one minute being disappointed if I find out it's cancelled. I have squash tomorrow. I love squash, I have poured my heart and soul into it for the past four years. I will cancel it in a heartbeat if the Blue Bus stops running. 
Based off our record of snow days, I shouldn't be too hopeful. Yet the minute snow was mentioned any form of work went out the window. I sat here studying from midterms and all I could do was refresh weather.com over and over again. How much snow is expected again? (5-9 inches) Will it be enough to give us early spring break? (lord no) How much does NBC10 say we're going to get? (7-11 inches) What do the nbc10 commenters thinks? ("Oh shes thinking 7-11 inches but it's not snow she wants" What?...OH! EW!). It doesn't matter if you're in kindergarten or a senior in college, the minute the possibility of a snow day arises, books are put down and the waiting game begins. I've checked the "school closings and delays" site dozens of times just to keep track of who I should be angry at (no one close to me...yet). 
People are generally avoiding the subject here just because we've had our heart broken too many times. There is a window in the hall that you can see out of even if the rest of our windows are covered in snow and a line has formed there as people take a gander out to judge the situation. I'm not lying, there is a line to look out the window. People are pacing, I can hear them, snow makes people crazy. No one is outright asking if anyone thinks we'll have a snow day tomorrow, but you can hear them think it. 
I don't know how people can live in areas where snow days aren't a possibility. The way people's behavior changes when there is a possibility of a snow day is fascinating. People start nesting, like they're going to have a baby. My mom said that she was out buying food today, people have been doing laundry like their mother is coming to town, after I got out of the window looking line I then had to stand in the dish washing line. I never even have to wait for a shower on this hall, let alone a chance to look out a window or wash a dish. I thought we were done with night-before-a-snow day-fun for the year. I thought I was done with night-before-a-snow day-fun period for my academic career. While this entry has completely jinxed our chances of having a snow day tomorrow, I do enjoy getting one last night of "will we or won't we".

3 comments:

Megan said...

I didn't read this. all I have to say is-

there will be a giant blizzard and a week off from classes.
SNOW WEEK
only if you believe

Sarah Moody said...

i mean GS had... two. you also were a day student. didn't you get to leave early to go to the dentists and the doctors and stuff like that, day student flu etc? in fact you took off to see the red sox parade! lol

Shannon said...

"Dear Bryn Mawr College Community member,

Today, Monday March 2, 2009, has been declared a bad weather day. Only employees who have been designated as essential staff members should report for work.

Classes are being held today, however, there may be some faculty members who may need to cancel classes. Students should contact their individual professor's to determine if there class is canceled."

At least it's a different kind of email?