However as I sat at work today I subconsciously muttered to myself "Man, this would be great to blog about". You win, subconscious, I will return to blogging.
Before I get to today's story, I want to cover some basics of what I will and won't be blogging about during the year. Most dorm stories are off limits. Someone at Res Life thought it would be hilarious to allow me to be an HA (BMC's version of RA), so those stories will be carefully sifted through before I let myself write about them, I kinda want to keep this job. Second, tales of drunken debauchery, not happening. I'm a senior in college, I want to have a job when I graduate. Otherwise stories will be written about on a case by case basis.
So anyway, instead of writing my thesis, working out squash details, being a good HA and making laundry sign up sheets and bathroom signs, or having a social life, I'm blogging. Hooray. My decision making process really makes me feel good about next year's post college life.
And now for the story that brought me back to the blog.
Last year I took a job on campus working for the athletic department. Mostly I stand on the sidelines at soccer and field hockey games and shag stray balls. It's great. 2 hours of sunshine, a little bit of exercise and sports...all while getting paid. Today we hosted a volleyball tournament, which I eagerly signed up to work as I'm trying to get as many hours in before I just stop caring. I was told in advance that my job would be "Libero Tracker". I was not told what that meant. This allowed me to think up many possibilities. I knew that the libero is a position in volleyball, a defensive specialist if you will, but I didn't know much more. I assumed that as the tracker, I would be responsible for stealthily following her around the gym all day, making sure she didn't steal anything from us. Upon arriving at the gym this morning, I found out that i was slightly off. I was to sit at the desk and check off when she entered and exited the game. Eh, could be worse. The first game was between two schools, neither of which was BMC, so I had no preference for who won. We're not supposed to "excessively cheer" anyway, even if BMC was playing, according to a sign taped to our table. For this match, I decided I liked the team that won the first game. Why? Because if they won two more games than the match would be over quickly. They clearly appreciated my support and won the next two easily. The next match was between two more non-BMC teams. Here I was faced with a dilemma. I was going to root for the team that won the first game, as lunch was coming after this match was over. However after one team won a game, the other coach hulked out at his team. I was honestly terrified of him. His team was terrified of him. I was pretty sure he was going to take them out back and shoot them if they lost. So while I desperately wanted lunch, I knew that as an Athletic Event Worker, it would be my job to clean up any blood left over from his post match tirade that he was clearly going to go on. This made the game incredibly awkward to watch. At one point the team with the Incredible Hulk coach blew a 5 point lead and my partner and I both started muttering "Oh God, Oh God, Oh God, no no noo.........". Unfortunately I still hadn't given up supporting the other team. I knew that there was a hoagie with my name on it in the other room and ultimately I decided that I would be willing to sacrifice the other team in order to reach that hoagie. As my team won the second game, I took a deep breath and hoped to God that we could just end this painlessly. God then punished me for my selfishness by letting Hulk's team win the next game, before having the other team put it away in the fourth. Thus, I was delayed in getting to lunch and the other team still got to deal with the wrath of coach crazy. In short, no one won.
Oh, before I go, let me leave you with a link to "Most Useless Story Ever"
http://www.showbizspy.com/article/Mamma-Mia-Becomes-16th-Longest-running-Show-In-Broadway-History/155189
And for those of you in the New York Area, please keep an eye out for Hannah Upp, a recent BMC grad who's gone missing
http://www.abcnews.go.com/US/Story?id=5735316&page=2
1 comment:
I love your blogs.
And since I'm abroad, it's as if you are still abroad, because all of this is 10,000 miles away. It all works out, hahaha.
Oh and nice job sacrificing the other team for a hoagie, Mari.
Post a Comment