I was in my room anxiously awaiting Michael Phelps hosting SNL, the one thing I wanted to do all weekend. Should I head over the the 80's dance at the 'ford? No, Michael Phelps is hosting SNL. Should I hang out with my friends as they work at the cafe. No, Michael Phelps is hosting SNL. Should I watch a movie in my friend's room? Did you not hear me? All I want to do is watch this. It's on at 11:30, so I had about an hour to go so I was just hanging out in my room, doing some reading (not the reading I should have been doing though) when BAM! Complete darkness. I sat for a moment, assumed we had all just died in some nuclear accident, and contemplated what I should do next. Then I went into hyper HA mode. I jumped up, grabbed the hall flashlight and stormed the hall. If I remember correctly from HA training, it's often necessary to evacuate the dorm during a blackout. I was pumped. But it became clear this was not one of those times. So we all just stood around for awhile, clearly the lights would be back on in no more than 10 minutes. When it became clear they weren't coming back on I called public safety to find out what the deal was. All they told me was "WE KNOW!" that didn't answer my question.....
So people began migrating to my room because I had my door open, so I started telling stories. I love telling stories. This is awesome. Until 11:30 came and the lights weren't back on. I realized that I was going to miss Phelps. Mother of. After another hour of the lights being off I gave public safety a call. At this point the lights had been off for two hours.
"Hi, I was just wondering if there was a timetable for when the lights would be back on"
"Well we need to figure out the cause first, then we can work on fixing the problem"
Seriously? You had no clue why half of the campus had been without power for 2 hours? I started to get cranky. Our fans were all off, meaning it was hot as balls up here. I cannot describe how hot this place gets without fans. It's miserable. The whole hall began to get cranky as we realized that we were in for a long hot night. I decided to give bed a try anyway, while others decided to just go swim in the fountain for awhile. To each their own. As I laid down on my bed, I could feel the heat just swarm around me. Each time I moved the temperature rose 20 degrees. I decided to move to my floor, lower ground, maybe not so bad. I felt the carpet scratch against my body, creating friction heat. I couldn't win. I realized that the fridge under my bed was still cold, and with the power out the stuff that was going to go bad would go bad anyway. So I threw the door open and for a good 5 minutes had my own personal air conditioner. It was bliss. I also realized that as the fridge defrosted it leaked water EVERYWHERE! Great. When the fridge lost all of it's precious cool I returned to bed. If I was going to be hot at least I was going to be comfortable. I finally got to sleep and looked forward to waking up to electricity. I woke up to silence. The silence meant my fans weren't on. Which meant we still didn't have electricity. Seriously, did a raccoon chew through the wires? What the hell! It wasn't raining, we didn't have any snow. I don't think it was so hot that there would be a power surge. WHAT HAPPENED! I was drenched in sweat, the air thick with heat. I got up and planned to just get in my car and head home. That's how I handle things I don't like here. I go home until someone fixes them. The joys of living 45 minutes away. Right when I got up a rush of air filled the room. The clamor of my two giant fans was music to my ears. My lights flashed on, temporarily blinding me (but in the good way). Electricity has returned. Life is good again.
I'm still going home.
1 comment:
"I sat for a moment, assumed we had all just died in some nuclear accident"
favorite line
Post a Comment