Thursday, October 30, 2008

Phenomenal Phillies

Well, it took three days, but they finally wrapped it up. I had good intentions of going into the city tonight, but ultimately those plans fell through. At work today I stood on the field hockey field texting Ch'nel, trying to convince her to go out again tonight. "It's too cold" she kept replying. I scoffed at first, but two hours later I knew there was no way I was going in. It was too damn cold. I was also exhausted. Since I wasn't going into the city, I told my boss I would work the volleyball game tonight. That was a poor decision. In between the field hockey game and the volleyball game exhaustion hit me like a truck. By the time I got to the volleyball game I could barely keep my eyes open. Disaster struck during the forth set when I noticed the ref was blowing his whistle a lot. I didn't care, I was too focused on how the different flags of the Centennial Conference looked hanging up around the ceiling. It wasn't until someone in the crowd yelled "HEY! MARIANNA!" that I snapped back to reality. I found myself in a quiet gym full of people starring at me. The ref looked like he wanted to kill me. They just wanted the ball to be thrown in. I had literally fallen asleep standing on my feet. Cue embarrassment. 
After the game I ran back to my room to watch the game. The shortened length meant everything escalated pretty quickly. I clutched the back of my chair as the second to last out was made. Just before Lidge threw the final pitch Ari walked in to tell me it was time for Documentary Night. I screamed at her to shut the hell up and looked back at the tv just in time to see that final strike. I let out a yell that I definitely did not know I was capable of making. Ari starred blankly then left to go to Docu night. I ran down the hall and grabbed Julia, my friend from high school as I knew that she was a huge Philadelphia fan. The two of us grabbed our keys and ran up to Lancaster Ave. Julia is only 19, and looks like she's much younger, so there was no chance of us getting into a bar. Instead we walked up and down Lancaster over and over again. We high fived strangers, we stood on street corners and cheered, we waved at honking cars. Julia wanted me to go grab my car so we could join the parade, but I declined. I've seen that scene in Remember the Titans. There's no way I was risking my life or my ability to walk. So it wasn't the mass chaos that Philly is in right now, but there was something sweet and pure about it. I can't place my finger on it, but it was nice. From overprivilaged teenage boys to elderly ladies, everyone was out. It was nice. Can't wait for the parade!
I think it goes without saying that the minute by minute account of Documentary Night is cancelled this week. So I'm sorry, but you'll just have to do without my take on 'Trekkies" which was this weeks selection. 

5 comments:

Unknown said...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM SOOO EXCITED ABOUT THIS WIN! EVEN ACROSS THE WORLD. There are a lot of Phillies fans where I'm living, it's legit!

My friend in Ireland right now also said that his roommate is flying back to Philly just to see the parade and then flying back to Ireland..... that's dedication.

Anonymous said...

I would have liked to see your take on the 14-year-old trekkie with the mullet, but alas and alack

Sarah Moody said...

i feel kind of sad for the rays.. they have never won a world series :-(

but the phillies earned it and there was no way the rays were going to win in my opinion

Shannon said...

PARAAAAAADE!

Anonymous said...

You are a parade veteran. I challenge you to come up with a sign (a la Derek Jeter playing golf) which will appear on TV.

The best part of the Phillies win for a Boston fan....New York is sinking into a deeper baseball depression!

Congratulations Philadelphia!

Finn