Saturday, October 11, 2008

Thoughts on fall break, part I

Fall break began yesterday. For most people. I chose to begin mine on Wednesday afternoon. Don't worry, don't worry, I didn't cut any classes, certain classes were just conveniently cancelled. I'm heading back to school tomorrow to work on my thesis, as the past 3 days have proven that being home means I get nothing done. 
Example?
I went to the library on Thursday to do work. I forget it's Yom Kippor and instead spend the entire 2 hours I was there freaking out about the middle school aged kids pacing the stacks. Apparently when kids don't have school, but are too old for babysitters, their parents just drop them off at the library all day. Since kids these days don't read, they simply pace for hours upon end. Up and down the library. Occasionally they sit down. Directly behind me. And stare at me for awhile. Then they get up, start pacing again. I was legitimitely terrified. So I left and went into Princeton, telling myself I would stop by the office to say hi, then go get work done at one of the coffee shops in town. It probably would have helped if I had remembered to bring my books with me. 
Friday. 
I actually got a fair amount of reading done. I discovered a good technique, sit on the sofa and read aloud to the dogs. Not only did the verbal recitation help me remember, but the dogs fell instantly asleep, granting me 2 hours of pure quiet. I managed to get a good four hours of work done this day, then I started to go a bit stir crazy. I decided a trip to the office for some storytime would calm me down. But no staying longer than an hour! Cut to 5 pm when I find myself in the Ichan Building setting up a PA system. 
Saturday.
Now I was banned this summer from writing about work. So the next few sentences will be very vague so as to not anger people. I wasn't going to do any thesis work today. I had come home knowing full well that on Saturday I would be working an event for the office. I did not know that this event would begin at 7:00am and go until 7:00pm. Yes. I took a "break" from writing my thesis to work a 12 hour work-day. Don't judge me on my decisions, they've worked out great for me in the past. Anyway, memorable moments that won't get me in trouble?
-Kaliente burrito. yummmm.
-7 year old child pointing at picture of building: Hey, is that the building in Mexico? It's    a restaurant or something
  Me: *incredulous* uhh...yea...it is. They're having a conference about the architect today....
  Child: Whatever, have you seen my brother? We're playing hide and seek
Effing Princeton children, too smart for their own good. 
-Everyone.Rides. Bikes.Everywhere. In the one month that I've been gone, everyone has started riding bikes. Now when I drive down Nassau I have to look out for absent minded professors who don't use cross-walks and asshole hippies taking up the middle of the two-lane road with their bikes. 
-Engineering professor: Ah! So you must be Peter's wife!
  Me: Nope, nope, definitely not. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Seriously!?!?!? Dad's wife? I certainly hope not.