A few facts before we begin
-We had three resolutions to discuss. Plenaries of yore have had between 3 and 11 ( I made that last number up, but it's around there) so this is looking good for our chances of getting out
-Quorum is 423 people. That means in order for any vote to pass, 423 people must be in the gym.
Everything else may sound crazy and confusing, that's because it is. Try and hang on for the ride.

Hooray for Plenary!
11:00: We arrive....no one is here
11:05-We get a quality seat near the con mike. Excellent for mocking people.
11:30-In retrospect sitting next to the trash can was a poor decision
11:47-Megan: Oh no. Acapella...God save us all!
11:55-The first Annass of the day, could it be...yes, we have quorum. Hey now, not just quorum but 5 over quorum! Awesome.
12:02-What's your favorite part of Plenary? Megan likes when we vote to vote
12:03-I've already lost my voting card. This does not bode well
12:08-RAFFLE TIME!
12:10-I didn't win this round. 4 years of perfect Plenary attendance...never won a raffle. That streak will end today. Mark my words.
12:12-First resolution. Releasing of room draw numbers a week early. Yes. These are the things we vote on.
12:15-No one wants to discuss this issue. Straight to vote
12:20-RAFFLE TIME!
11:05-We get a quality seat near the con mike. Excellent for mocking people.
11:30-In retrospect sitting next to the trash can was a poor decision
11:47-Megan: Oh no. Acapella...God save us all!
11:55-The first Annass of the day, could it be...yes, we have quorum. Hey now, not just quorum but 5 over quorum! Awesome.
12:02-What's your favorite part of Plenary? Megan likes when we vote to vote
12:03-I've already lost my voting card. This does not bode well
12:08-RAFFLE TIME!
12:10-I didn't win this round. 4 years of perfect Plenary attendance...never won a raffle. That streak will end today. Mark my words.
12:12-First resolution. Releasing of room draw numbers a week early. Yes. These are the things we vote on.
12:15-No one wants to discuss this issue. Straight to vote
12:20-RAFFLE TIME!
Nicky: Commmme onnnn, Nicky needs a new free t-shirt!
12:21-We're shut out again. I will not leave this room without a free item of some sort.
12:25-The 5 of us are the only people to vote against the resolution. For those of you keeping count, thats 418 Mawrtyrs vs. the 5 of us. This is without a doubt my favorite Plenary moment ever.
12:29- Plenary dance off. I'm not even going to begin to describe the motley crue of Mawrtyrs up there. It really is awkward. Wow. This isn't dancing. This is hopping. I object.
12:21-We're shut out again. I will not leave this room without a free item of some sort.
12:25-The 5 of us are the only people to vote against the resolution. For those of you keeping count, thats 418 Mawrtyrs vs. the 5 of us. This is without a doubt my favorite Plenary moment ever.
12:29- Plenary dance off. I'm not even going to begin to describe the motley crue of Mawrtyrs up there. It really is awkward. Wow. This isn't dancing. This is hopping. I object.
Paige: This is the saddest thing I've ever seen.
We've decided to exercise our right to abstain from voting. There is nothing more awkward than when you vote and no one cheers for a participant.
12:37-A new resolution. People are openly not caring.
12:39- Our first usage of "With all due respect" at the mics.
12:44-For those of you who are interested, we're discussing whether or not we need hardcopy course guides or if we can just save paper by doing away with them.
12:47-Someone just called the Bryn Mawr population lazy. love it.
12:49-An amendment!
12:37-A new resolution. People are openly not caring.
12:39- Our first usage of "With all due respect" at the mics.
12:44-For those of you who are interested, we're discussing whether or not we need hardcopy course guides or if we can just save paper by doing away with them.
12:47-Someone just called the Bryn Mawr population lazy. love it.
12:49-An amendment!
12:53-There's bad coffee, there's rancid coffee, and then there's dining services coffee. I think I just drank battery acid
12:56-Some of the deans are here watching this chucklefuck. I wonder what they think while they sit there. I wonder if it's hard for them to keep from cracking up at our hopes and dreams
1:00-An amendment to the amendment!
12:56-Some of the deans are here watching this chucklefuck. I wonder what they think while they sit there. I wonder if it's hard for them to keep from cracking up at our hopes and dreams
1:00-An amendment to the amendment!
Ari and Marianna discuss the amendment to the amendment
1:05-RAFFLE TIME!
1:06-Vintage plenary t-shirts!
1:09-We wrote out a dirty word on our plenary cards with each one of us being a different letter. We're 5 years old and we're proud of it.
(The camera on my computer does everything backward...I am aware that the N is backward, it wasn't in real life)
1:10-This just in, cake has been reduced to 75 cents a slice. Spread the word. In related news bagels and fruit are free.
1:13-RAFFLE TIME! If you're confused as to why I haven't written about anything resolution related for the past 15 minutes....that's because nothings happened.
1:17-There is one boy in a room of 450 females. What a great boyfriend he is. We can smell his fear.
1:26-NO CLAPPING! Don't you DARE show your support for your fellow Mawrtyrs opinions.
1:30-What's your favorite part of Plenary? Nicky likes it when people cry.
1:35-The first resolution to divide the group. And our dirty word. I should also note that we're at the point in the day when they take away our food. Things are about to get ugly.
1:37-It's taken us 2 hours to pass one and a half amendments, we have one and a half more to go. Haverford isn't starting their Plenary until late tonight and they have 13 resolutions to pass.
1:41-We just lost quorum. Here's a video to give you an idea of the Plenary process
1:45-I just tried to avoid the woman's room line by going to the bathroom in the men's room, as per suggestion. Just as I was about to walk in, a man walked in. So I detoured into the wom en's locker room. There i was met face to face with a stark naked elderly woman. It wouldn't be Plenary without a naked old woman.
1:53-RAFFLE TIME!
2:05-The angry phone calls to friends have begun again. "IT IS YOUR DUTY AS A MAWRTYR TO BE HERE!" love it.
2:06-I think I've lost the will to live...but on the plus side, RAFFLE TIME!
2:10-There's awkward, there's dance off awkward, and then there's Mawrtyrs dancing to Kanye awkward. I do believe that we've finished with Plenary and moved on a Friday night middle school dance
2:16-I whip out my cell phone to call my friends, as was demanded. I realize that very few of my cell phone contacts attend BMC. Consider calling Chiz and asking her to come to Plenary and pretend to be a Mawrtyr.
2:20-We were just told that we're "technically here by choice".
2:24-Someone almost just won the dance off by default. Everyone else didn't even bother to show up to the finals. They mana[ged to pull everyone else up like a dentist pulling teeth
2:32-Still no quorum
2:42-Moment of the day, people making phone calls to friends on their cellphone and having the entire room demand that they come. We do things as a team here. still no quorum
2:53-Annnnnnnd now for the Soulja Boy-ing....I think it goes without saying that we still don't have quorum
2:57-QUORUM! Thank god. For those of you keeping count, that was an hour and sixteen minutes that we didn't officially have quorum.
3:10-I'm going to lose power before Plenary ends. Start imagining your own ending.
3:11-WE PASSED A RESOLUTION! One more to go. The option to uncover credit/no credit grades. This is going to be a debateable one.
3:16-The toilet won't stop flushing. I want everyone to take a moment and consider the irony of us voting to conserve paper at the same moment we're flushing gallons and gallons of water every second.
3:17-Unnecessary questions. Unnecessary questions. Totally irrelevant
3:20-Oooo, Darby's talking
3:21-Our second usage of the day of "with all due respect" ironically by the same person who used it the first time
3:22-A woman just had a debate with herself over the microphone over whether she is class of '10 or '010. It's hard to be a not-senior. '09! '09!
3:25-This resolution is apparently in the spirit of "Bi-Co Cooperation".....right-o
3:30-Ooooo, Andrea's talking.
3:33-RAFFLE TIME!
3:40-We are so.close. to being allowed out of here. so.close.
3:44-In case you're wondering...we still haven't settled the dance off
3:46-RAFFLE TIME
3:47-WE'RE DONE!
1:37-It's taken us 2 hours to pass one and a half amendments, we have one and a half more to go. Haverford isn't starting their Plenary until late tonight and they have 13 resolutions to pass.
1:41-We just lost quorum. Here's a video to give you an idea of the Plenary process
1:45-I just tried to avoid the woman's room line by going to the bathroom in the men's room, as per suggestion. Just as I was about to walk in, a man walked in. So I detoured into the wom en's locker room. There i was met face to face with a stark naked elderly woman. It wouldn't be Plenary without a naked old woman.
1:53-RAFFLE TIME!
2:05-The angry phone calls to friends have begun again. "IT IS YOUR DUTY AS A MAWRTYR TO BE HERE!" love it.
2:06-I think I've lost the will to live...but on the plus side, RAFFLE TIME!
2:10-There's awkward, there's dance off awkward, and then there's Mawrtyrs dancing to Kanye awkward. I do believe that we've finished with Plenary and moved on a Friday night middle school dance
2:16-I whip out my cell phone to call my friends, as was demanded. I realize that very few of my cell phone contacts attend BMC. Consider calling Chiz and asking her to come to Plenary and pretend to be a Mawrtyr.
2:20-We were just told that we're "technically here by choice".
2:24-Someone almost just won the dance off by default. Everyone else didn't even bother to show up to the finals. They mana[ged to pull everyone else up like a dentist pulling teeth
2:32-Still no quorum
2:42-Moment of the day, people making phone calls to friends on their cellphone and having the entire room demand that they come. We do things as a team here. still no quorum
2:53-Annnnnnnd now for the Soulja Boy-ing....I think it goes without saying that we still don't have quorum
2:57-QUORUM! Thank god. For those of you keeping count, that was an hour and sixteen minutes that we didn't officially have quorum.
3:10-I'm going to lose power before Plenary ends. Start imagining your own ending.
3:11-WE PASSED A RESOLUTION! One more to go. The option to uncover credit/no credit grades. This is going to be a debateable one.
3:16-The toilet won't stop flushing. I want everyone to take a moment and consider the irony of us voting to conserve paper at the same moment we're flushing gallons and gallons of water every second.
3:17-Unnecessary questions. Unnecessary questions. Totally irrelevant
3:20-Oooo, Darby's talking
3:21-Our second usage of the day of "with all due respect" ironically by the same person who used it the first time
3:22-A woman just had a debate with herself over the microphone over whether she is class of '10 or '010. It's hard to be a not-senior. '09! '09!
3:25-This resolution is apparently in the spirit of "Bi-Co Cooperation".....right-o
3:30-Ooooo, Andrea's talking.
3:33-RAFFLE TIME!
3:40-We are so.close. to being allowed out of here. so.close.
3:44-In case you're wondering...we still haven't settled the dance off
3:46-RAFFLE TIME
3:47-WE'RE DONE!
Conclusion: I didn't win a raffle, I went 1-2 on my votes (One thing passed that I was for, two things passed that I was against) and my leg fell asleep. Dinner better be good tonight
9 comments:
great blog post or best blog post ever?
best. plenary summary. ever
That was quality.
so
good
So what was the outcome on the uncovering of the pass-fail grades? That is a colossally bad idea. By the way, it's "with all due respect", which doesn't make it any less hackneyed. --OMP
It was passed, but it's been passed for three Plenaries running and the administration has just shoved it under the rug. Plenary is like when you buy a kid a play kitchen and she thinks she can cook, but in truth if she ate what she cooked she'd probably harm herself. The administration has given us a play government, but kindly steps in before having to call poison control.
a pretty good summary if i do say so myself. ALSO i think one of the numbers called at the lightning-speed raffle at the end was mine but i was so tired and grouchy that i wasn't paying attention and so i didn't win when i could have.
also i am dumb and can't tell what your dirty word was. my only idea was "vagina."
and thank you OMP for being one of the only people in the entire world who agrees with me on that resolution.
Your summary is better than any part of plenary I ever attended (and am very grateful I never have to attend again)
Post a Comment