Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Never Let Me Loose in AC Moore

President: So what does the school do for Halloween? Anything special?
Dorm Resident: Let's just say there are a lot of ambulances involved.
President: *look of horror*

And this is why open forums with the new president are probably not a good idea...

Anyway, the hall had started to demand cookies so I knew that meant it was time for our first "tea" or hall party. Usually these involve getting some snacks and drinks and coming up with an activity. So I took myself down to AC Moore and decided that I would do whatever "inspired me". Never, ever, go to AC Moore without a plan. If you do, you will end up like me, and decide that having a "Mad Hatter Tea", complete with make your own newspaper hats, is a brilliant idea. I snagged  ton of pom poms, stickers, pipe cleaners, you name it. Then I went next door to Giant to buy snacks. Hoping to save money I only bought Giant brand goods. The cookies were just fine, but everyone was a bit miffed at the "Main Street" Root Beer and Cream Soda as well as the "Diet Rally" soda. 
I got back to my room and thought about what I just did. I stared in horror at the bags of brightly colored crafts and just thought "oh God, oh God, oh God" over and over again. How would I tell a hall of non-frosh that I fully expect them to make newspaper hats. I don't think I've ever accepted "newspaper hats" as an acceptable activity, even when I was five. Why did I think that would be appropriate now? 
When it came time for the tea I couldn't look anyone in the eye. After the initial shock of hearing my idea, some people warmed up to it, while others preferred to just eat the cookies and watch the madness. But you know what? That damn tea lasted for two hours. That's a long tea. By the end we had some masterpiece hats, we had an award ceremony where I made awards to give out. I rigged them so that I got classiest. As we were cleaning up, someone pulled an ad out of the New York Times to show me, that's right, it's Hat Week in New York. 



Good hall citizens humoring me 

My hat, it won classiest. Some claim the competition was rigged...that's because it was
Nicky, Megan and Paige celebrate Hat Week

Kira works on her "Most Colorful" award winning creation

5 comments:

Finn said...

Great fun! When do you begin Papercutting 101?

Finn

I. Grant said...

Congratulations! Sounds like everyone had fun. --Slicer Mission

I. Grant said...

Aargh! This made me use by Google account and I'm outed. No more comments. --Slicer Mission

Anonymous said...

Who is this Slicer Mission fool? -- OMP

Sarah Moody said...

i like smith's teas better