Saturday, September 20, 2008

Saturday Was Supposed To Be My Working Day...

I was enjoying some Scottish music last night. Feeling classy, doing a little singing, a little dancing (if bopping counts as dancing), it was good times. Then my cell phone started a buzzing, it was Ch'nel! She wanted to know if I wanted to do a 6 mile walk for autism the next morning. This had many plusses for me.
1. See Ch'nel, always good times
2. Walk for Autism awareness, something I support
3. Charity. I could use this as leverage when getting in a moral battle with someone this week. 
4. 6 miles. Counts as exercise, can be used as an excuse for why I'm too tired to be productive this weekend.
I'm in. 
I get up this morning and realize I have to get myself down to Philadelphia. I had plans to go to the walk, then go to a football game with a friend, then go out to dinner with some other friends. I was popular and I was going to milk it for all it's worth. I get to Citizens Bank Park, where the walk is, find Ch'nel, get to walking. Yea, by 6 miles, Chiz meant a stroll around the parking lot. If anyone asked, I walked 6 miles. You hear me? 6 miles. So while I had set out a good portion of time for this, we were done within a half hour. But whatever, Chiz and I just hung out in the ballpark for awhile. Very odd experience, sitting in an empty baseball field just shootin' the breeze. The early end meant that I could head back to BMC, drop off my car and shower. Which led to Saturday afternoon part II.
Remember last week when I went to Princeton? This week I chose Penn as my "sometimes I like to pretend I go to other colleges" location. Perhaps next week I'll hit up a mixer at Columbia. Penn was playing Villanova in football. As Nova is right up the street and Penn is technically connected to BMC through some shady consortium of some type, we figured this would be a good game to go to and pretend that we had a football team. When Alex and I got there we had to make a quick decision as to which team we would support. As some overly tanned Nova kids stumbled by us, we decided to head over to the Penn side. The game was pretty bad, but enjoyable none the less. Lots of Penn students showed up, as well as lots of other football less area college students (Drexel). The game ended in a tie and a very intense overtime began, ending with an anti-climatic fumble for Penn. I'll tell you though, if you had told me four years ago that I would be standing up cheering LET'S GO QUAKERS! I would have thrown whatever piece of orange colored Princeton clothing I had at you and called you a damn liar. I wish we had a football team around here. I really do. 
A few other friends were in the city as well, so we met them for dinner down at the Marathon Grill. While I had heard great things, lets just say it rivaled JL Ivies for the award for worst service ever (if this blog had any pull, I would have just ruined the reputations of two delicious restaurants...some day, that will be the case). At one point the very annoyed waiter threw the order book down on the table and said 'Alright, alright, let's go'. We then practically had to send up flares in order to get their attention again. But the food was good....
The reason for staying in the city passed 6:30 was that SEPTA was free today. Woo. We, of course, arrived at the train station 5 minutes after the train had left and had an hour to kill before the next. So we decided to walk up to the other train station which at least had a Dunken Donuts to amuse ourselves at. This of course meant a walk through the business area of Philadelphia at night, which was significantly depressing. Hopefully after I'm freed from here I'll be idealistic enough to try and fix this city up. After catching the train back we all strolled back to campus, playing our "favorite" game, who deserves more pity for having the most work to do tomorrow. Luckily the night didn't end on that depressing note, as we were able to play our actual favorite game, mocking Nova students as they ran from the cops that were busting up their parties. High comedy right there, apparently the best place for drunk under agers to hide is not the college campus next door that has no alcohol policy, but rather the extremely uptight and rich private day school. Let it be known...it's not. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe that Drexel does have a football team. --OMP

Sarah Moody said...

now that brick is a drexel man, i imagine you guys having awkward philadelphia run ins all year

Marianna said...

OMP-Well then someone should tell the kid wearing the Drexel lanyard who sat behind me. All game long "I wish we had a football team, then I wouldn't have to root for Penn...Why doesn't Drexel have a football team...Have I mentioned Drexel doesn't have a football team" he didn't shut up.

Anonymous said...

Well, you're right and I'm wrong. Drexel doesn't have a football team. They are a fine university.