10:02-We're all here except Paige. Megan can't figure out how to set the TV up. She asks for help, we refuse. This is all part of presenting. Megan will be showing us "Darkon" a look into the world of Live Action Role Play (LARP). Megan dropped the ball last week and forgot to order the movie via Netflix so we had to scramble for backups. Needless to say, WE ARE SO PUMPED for this movie.
10:03-"All documentaries are now to be considered job opportunities"-Ari
10:05-Someone is banging on the door to the dorm. We have been frequently warned about the danger of letting strangers in. As an HA, I am designated as the person to go get shot by the obvious murderer/rapist/stalker. It turns out to be our friend Catherine, here for Doc Night.
10:08-No one is here. We judge
10:10- Paige: "will everyone get angry if..." Megan:"Yes"
10:13-Still haven't started.....Paige is questioning the absence of Drew. He apparently is in New York at a Knicks game. We're skeptical...the Knicks don't have fans...
10:14-Megan starts her speech. She begins by confirming that she called back the boy she met at the bar last week. We are all more interested in that. Paige demands yet another apology for the fuck up of last week.
10:15-"You should not make your weapons at home"
10:16-BATTLE NAMES ARE HANDED OUT! Epic. My battle name is Slebden. Please, only refer to me as that.
10:17-Paige has a story about a guy named Karl. I don't know where this is going. Apparently Karl was a LARPer who played a character who self-identified racist against aliens.
10:18-We finally get going, it's all good.
10:19-Uhhh, some sort of human sacrifice and ancient language......This might not be the movie we intended to watch
10:20-"I always felt like I was born out of time...like the skills I have don't fit the time period".....yessss, uh, that's exactly why I don't have a job yet....
10:22-I know for a fact that some members of this dorm actually participate in LARP. This could get awkward.
10:23-We go back 9 months, I think it's obvious....someone's going to get preggos
10:24-"I've seen porn on Showtime with similar themes"-Ari
10:25-Shotty camera work
10:28-This one guy, we'll call him Steve for now, is the son of a man who built up a "war games empire. Oh, nevermind, his name's Skip.
10:33-"It's ALMOST as good as the American dream" even if you had the context, you wouldn't know what that meant. I have no clue what that means. So confused.
10:34-Someone just bought a "supernatural death poison". Liz just brought up the BRILLIANT idea of making this a Law and Order plot, LARP gone wrong.
10:36-"At home, mom's in control, it's her house. At work, my boss is in control. At Darkon, I'm in control"-a sad realization of what my life could be next year.
10:38-Catherine appears mildly attracted to a LARPers "skills"
10:46-Uh, oh...power struggle. Who saw this one coming? Everyone. The leader is going off on a rant about the decency of the program. His little lackey behind him is CRACKING up. Way to ruin the moment.
10:49-"I'm a retail manager for Hot Topic" oh the laughter. So much laughter
10:51-A man is angry that his wife gets upset when women flirt with him during role play..."IT'S JUST ROLE PLAY". You're walking a thin line there, buddy....
10:57-"During the Columbine events" uh oh, where are you going with this buddy......
10:58-What leads to Darkon? Bad high school experiences and a love of crafting. Uh oh...Nicky fits the mold...
11:02-A surprising amount of diversity in the LARP world
11:03-LARPing is "American" U-S-A! U-S-A! "We're the terrorists and Mordom is the USA". Wait, I thought I was against Mordom...but if they're the USA...oh Jesus, I did not expect to have a moral dillema while watching this movie. We take sides, Ari and I choose Modrom. U-S-A! U-S-A!
11:05-"Would we get PE credit for this?"-Catherine. Side note, after arguing and getting screwed over every semester, I have officially completed my PE credit that was technically completed 3 semesters ago. Win.
11:09-Skip's kid practices his sword work. The boy has talent, there's no denying it.
11:15-WHOA, they have an effing castle, sorry, Citadel of Peace.
11:16-To catch you up, Bannor wanted to hold a tribunal to charge Klebman or something with some kind of crime. Klebman instead insists that they fight at the Citadel of Peace, the EXACT location that Bannor wanted to hold a tribunal. GOT IT?!?!?!
11:19-Holy...what?!?! They just set the Citadel of Peace on fire. Epic fire.
11:20-Me: Does he have a job?
Everyone in the room: HE'S A STAY AT HOME DAD!
uh, apologies....
11:23-A Darkon participant is revealed to be an actual soldier. He discusses the moment in Iraq when he realized what he was doing was real, no Darkon. Uhh...really?
11:27-Keldar was the guy's name, not Klebman
11:28-Enter the Dark Elves. They are TERRIFYING
11:35-Once again, Mordom wins. Point for me and Ari.
11:36-Oh snap, Bannor's been captured
11:37-It's a duel. Kaitlyn is far more pumped than any of the rest of us
11:38-And Bannor goes down. Paige is crying.
11:42-Bah, sudden ending. What the hell!
11:43-Post movie discussion? I'm disappointed. King of Kong was better.
Wednesday, February 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment