Friday, February 6, 2009

*clapclapclapclapclap* WOOOOOOOOOO *clapclapclapclapclap*

There are many reasons I love Philadelphia, sports teams, the zoo, water ice, the list goes on. The main reason I love this city, however, is for Philly celebrities. In Philadelphia the strangest people become celebrities, most often the newscasters. Only in Philadelphia would an anchorman cheat on his wife, also an anchorwoman, with another anchorwoman. Only in Philadelphia would the mistress anchorwoman then be arrested in New York for making racist comments to the a police officer. Only in Philadelphia would the anchorman then be arrested for hacking into the racist anchorwomans e-mail account. I LOVE THIS CITY.
Anyway, the crazy anchorpeople are on CBS3 and Fox. I have ALWAYS preferred NBC10. When I was in high school I had a tiny television in my room that only received Channel 10. I grew to know each newscasts crew, picking favorites and such. A few years ago NBC10 came out with a daytime talk show called The 10! Show. It sometimes had big name guests who were in town to promote new movies or such, but usually it had random washed up 80's actors or local bartenders. The hosts, Lori Wilson and Bill Henley, are the most adorable people you can find on television. They spend the hour cooking food, talking to random Philadelphia celebrities and generally just shoot the breeze. I love them. Two years ago my roommate Shannon (also raised in the Philadelphia area) and I decided that we needed to be part of the audience. So we signed up and got tickets for a random Friday morning. We spent a glorious hour listening to C-list actor Jaime Kennedy, eating brownies made from spinach and getting a lecture from a real estate tycoon on how to best sell our hypothetical house. It was fantastic. We kept saying "we need to go back" but never got our act together.
Last week Shannon e-mailed me (which is great considering she lives right down the hall) to say that she had gotten us tickets for the upcomming Friday. I was pumped, I checked out the website to see who our guests would be and was disturbed to see none listed. Nuts, we've been shafted.
We still pulled ourselves out of bed this morning and drove down Montgomery Ave to the NBC studios in Bala Cynwyd, right outside the city. We wandered into the studio right behind four other people and were greeted with coffee and friendly faces. I've been to a bunch of live tapings, but the 10! Show staff seems legitimately happy to see you there, unlike the other shows (Conan, Jon Stewart) where it's clear they're doing you a favor. We waited around for about a half hour while others arrived. Last time we came there were about 50 people in the audience. Today there only seemed to be about 18. Lori Wilson came down to hang out and talk and mentioned that today's shows theme was "Sexual Healing" and would a few people be willing to talk about what they think a normal sex life entails. Shannon and I as well as the two teenagers there with their mother ran for cover, but the middle aged women who made up the rest of the line flocked to the camera. One large, 60ish year old woman told the camera point blank "Well I've had sex three times this week already and I intend to do the same tonight". The cameraman than responded "Three times a week, I'm lucky if I get three times a night!" The next woman in line then gave the camera man a long talk about talking to his wife about his needs. By this time Shannon and I are practically crouched in the fetal position covering our ears. It was traumatic to say the least. This is what happens when you hang out with 60 year old women, I haven't learned my lesson by now clearly. 
After they finished ruining my will to live they led us into the studio. An entire half that used to have chairs had been replaced with a band set up. I was excited, we were going to get music, how fun! We spent the next five minutes practicing our clapping and wooing. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO *clapclapclapclapclap* WOOOOOOOOO!!! It's harder than you may think. Lori and Bill came back out and the show got started. The first section was a video report on the Philadelphia auto show. I remember hating this as a kid, but it looks kind of fun based off of the video. I'm in luck! Bill announces that the audience is getting free tickets! Next the sex experts come out. They look disturbingly normal. Like people my parents might go to a dinner party with. I like my sex experts to look legitimately crazy so that I can identify them as such. They say nothing of importance, just that you should only do what's comfortable for you and your partner. I learned that in HA training, does that make me a sex expert? I hope not.
Commercial break, Shannon and I are right next to the DJ and have a little party in our seats. 
Come back from break and it's time to head over to the "kitchen" and cook up some chocolate treats. Here Lori and Bill help Chef Robert from Classic Cake make chocolate truffles. They look incredible. Bill announces that the studio audience will all receive a box of truffles "WOOOOOOO! WOOOOOOO! *clapclapclapclap*". Lori then asks us all to look under our chairs to see if we have a heart, meaning that person would win a giant pretzel, chocolate and nut centerpiece. I quickly glance under my seat, nothing. Oh well. Around me people are frantically searching but no one is finding a heart. That's odd. Let me just check again...OH! I had the heart! I won the centerpiece. Around me I get the evil eye from the women and curt "oh..congratulations". I grab my paper heart and wave it in front of the camera for all to see. Victory is mine.
The celebration continues into the commercial break. More dancing. They come back and bring out....some actress who was in the original production of Dreamgirls. She is here to talk to us about the importance of getting tested for AIDS. Did you know that one-third of the original Broadway Cast of Dreamgirls died from AIDS? That's stunning. 
Next up, video segment on the Atlantic City boat show. Very nice, FREE TICKETS FOR THE AUDIENCE. I don't think I'll be making it to AC this weekend, we'll see.
Commercial break, dance party.
Next up, the band, Chris Cubetta and the Liars Club. FANTASTIC. I will be researching them further on the internet. They were GREAT. Really chill, music with an edge. I was a big fan. Nice guys too.
Commercial break, dance party.
Come back, out comes some celebrity gossip woman from an area radio station. She doesn't tell us anything we don't know, but does come bearing FREE MOVIE TICKETS! Hey-oooo, "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooo *BREATHE* OOOOOoOOOoOoooo"
That officially ends the show, but the band comes back out to play one more song, much to my enjoyment. Then Bill and Lori tape some promos for next week and look like they're childhood best friends. Sooo cute. Although in this town that could be a bad sign of things to come. 
The stations intern comes out with a huge cardboard box containing my prize. That was probably the best part of the day, walking out of the studio with a giant cardboard box. Those that hadn't been at the taping kept looking at me like I was trying to steal something. I probably could have stolen something and just hidden it in the box. 
We got back to the lobby and were given the different tickets for our weekend adventures. Here we found out that in addition we were being given tickets to the Philadelphia Kixx soccer team! I thought they had disbanded a year ago! SO pumped to go there tomorrow night, that's going to be a good time.
What a great start to the weekend

The coolest thing I've ever won
My loot from The 10! Show


1 comment:

Megan said...

that thing is so weird looking. I love how you posed it.