Thursday, February 19, 2009

Oh right, Doc Night

10:03-Elizabeth and I are here, no one else is. It's Hell Week at Bryn Mawr so we might be interrupted by frosh doing stupid crap. 

10:05-Nicky and I discuss what constitutes a shoe. Why? Because I am not wearing shoes and I want Nicky, who is wearing shoes, to go to the next building over and buy me a soda. Our soda machine is broken, as per usual.

10:08-We will be watching "American Hardcore" the history of American Punk Rock 1980-1986

10:09-Elizabeth presents. I will switch between calling her Liz and Elizabeth tonight because after four years of friendship I still have not been able to determine which one she prefers

10:10-"this is a reaction to Reaganomics" this is going to be a long night

10:11-I should note that we're watching this because I banned Liz from showing a sports documentary. After I was turned down numerous times from showing something sports related I was sure as hell not letting her show one.

10:12-I try and convince Drew to go get me a soda. He almost falls for it but then realizes he's not wearing shoes. Foiled again by shoes

10:13-"Ronald Reagan White Man Order" "All getting up on us" oh jesus, I hate liberals

10:14-These people are just destroying everything I love and stand for.  Those things being Journey, polo shirts, order and civil obedience. Also smiling, they're against smiling

10:16-The guy with dreadlocks has the same glasses as Paige...and in that same thought also every architect of the 1950s

10:19-Drew "I like Fleetwood Mac!" once again Drew stands out as the only member of Doc Night that I like. I don't even like Fleetwood Mac, I just hate punk

10:20-Oh hey! It's the guy from the "I Love The" series. Apparently he was involved in punk. I don't care

10:22-Mighty Mighty Bosstones do not count as a punk band, come on.

10:23-"It was for kids, by kids and starring kids" HEY! That's the motto of Kidssongs

10:23-"They all sound the same"-Shannon...exactly

10:24-Sean Taggert also has Paige glasses

10:25-Apparently they played in abandoned gas stations. My professor has actually asked us to look at alternative usages for abandoned gas stations. I should bring this up

10:26-Nicky is scribbling vigorously in the corner. Apparently she's coloring aphids. 

10:28-The best part of documentaries is always watching what's going on in the background of interviews. A wedding is taking place in this one. 

10:31-There is a note on the ottoman in the center of the room addressed to Bridget It tells her to go to room 222. I assume this is a Hell Week Scavenger hunt. Bridget is going to have an awkward time trying to get her note. I look forward to her coming down.

10:33-This man is sitting in front of a swing set discussing his desire to break free from the homogeny of suburban life. Irony

10:36-I hate people who have no respect for the law. or noise ordinances

10:36-Scavenger hunters have arrived. "AHHHHHHHHHH THIS ONE HAS MY NAME ON IT! HERE'S MINE! WOOOOO!" Still no Bridget, she's clearly a bit slow when it comes to scavenger hunting. Apologies to Bridget if she is a reader of this blog

10:38-AHAHAHAHAHAHHA, Nicky just yelled at them to quiet down. Hell Week will have to wait, it's Doc Night. I'll explain Hell Week eventually, now is not the right time

10:45-Wikipedia gives us this mindblowing piece of trivia, many of the interviews were actually done in the filmmakers apartments but in different locations so as to appear different

10:48-Apparently Georgetown was quite the punk scene. Oh how sad Caroline would be if this were still the case

10:54-I can't focus on the movie, people are being loud

11:00-Bridget's still not here. The revelation that these were all filmed in one apartment is blowing our mind.

11:08-I am exhausted. I don't even know whats going on here. This movie is entirely interviews with brief periods of flashbacks to concerts. Its hard to keep track of things

11:17-"I'm getting a headache....so much yelling"-Shannon

11:24-"If she keeps pulling that shit we're gonna manifest destiny her ass"-Ari...we dislike Canadians

11:32-"The cops always started it"-Henry Rollins. Again, I hate people who don't obey and/or question the law.

11:37-Still no Bridget. Not cool, Bridge, not cool. I'd like to see a little more effort from you over the next week

11:49-Oh, the movies over. 

11:51-Bridget never showed. We go up to room 222 to yell at whomever she was supposed to be meeting there. No one answers. Too bad, it would have been funny for the poor sap to open her door and see 8 angry people standing there. I would have laughed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're right, I'm very glad that Georgetown is now as preppy as it is.

Anonymous said...

Actually, it sounds like you watched a film about a specific early-80s variant of punk rock called hardcore, from which those guys on I Love the 80s came. Very painful to listen to, kind of like a root canal for your ears. Well, that's two hours of your life you won't get back.

Sarah Moody said...

"Well, that's two hours of your life you won't get back."

agreed

as soon as i saw you were watching something about punk i knew this entry was going to have some anger in it lol