Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Past Week: Cliff Notes Style

Thursday
  • Beautiful
  • Went to the zoo
  • The zoo is impossible to get to
  • Between parking and admission IT COSTS 30 DOLLARS TO GO TO THE ZOO!
  • If the zoo hadn't been so impossible to get to, I would never have paid the 30 dollars. But I'll be dammed if I was turning around without seeing a giraffe or two
  • Enjoyed that it was the end of the day and the zoo was empty. Strolled through the cat house at my own rate. Was scared to death when I ran into one of those damned zoo volunteers. Struggled to think of a question on the spot to ask her as she wasn't letting me pass without one. All I could come up with was "Can you breed the black jaguar with the regular jaguar?" She stared at me blankly before responding "of course you can". She clearly thinks I'm a jaguar racist.
  • The small mammal house is by far the most under-appreciated part of that zoo. 
  • The African Safari is by far the most overrated
  • The okapi and the rhino are having a torrid affair, you heard it here first.

Friday
  • Rain. Lots and lots of rain. In the morning at least. 
  • Walked to Ardmore once the rain let off, bought the 1995 classic "The Big Green" on VHS at the thrift store for one dollar
  • Bought a cute sweater at Banana Republic for not one dollar. 
  • Played the doodle game with Paige and Nicky. By far the best game ever. You draw a doodle on a piece of paper then pass it to the person next to you. That person then has to create a picture from your doodle and provide a caption. My favorite was "Michael Phelps Swims Faster When Being Chased By a Shark". I'm sure you can imagine what that picture looks like
  • Saw Adventureland. We all know how that one ended.
Saturday
  • Went for a walk with Nicky at Valley Forge National Park.
  • Despite what certain other people thought, it was a glorious day.
  • Explored the reconstructed cabins. Accidentally found two historical re-enactors inside one. They started to talk before Nicky held up her hands and said "Hahah, we're just looking around" then turned away. Rather than allow them to maintain their dignity I just stood where I was and started laughing. They were less than pleased. As a former historical re-enactor, I can commiserate, but I still think it was hilarious.
  • Went up to Erin's to watch the Nova game. It became very clear very fast that Nova was NOT winning the game. The bar was full of students and none of them watched passed the second half. Oh well, it was a good try. 
Sunday
  • After the success of the Valley Forge trip Nicky and I decided to take another walk in another park.
  • Rounded up Ari and set off towards the mysterious "Fort Washington State Park"
  • Ari casually mentioned that all museums in Doylestown were free that day. 
  • I immediately turned the car around and off we went to the Mercer Museum.
  • The Mercer Museum is awesome. It is a museum focused on 18th and 19th century American culture. Basically, it is a giant cement mansion that is just filled with...stuff. Even more awesome was watching Nicky explore it. At each room she shrieked "TEXTILES!" "BAKING EQUIPMENT!" OOOOO! BASKET MAKING!"
  • The Michner Museum Art Gallery was less exciting, but still enjoyable. They had an exhibit on paper crafts including some Wycinanki. Nicky's response? "Marianna, you no longer impress me". Balls, I have work to do. 
  • It was weird to be in Doylestown considering I hung out there fairly often during high school. I kept looking around corners because I was convinced I was going to run into a high school teacher and would have to justify my life's hopes and dreams. 
Monday
  • My first Monday without any classes. I sat in front of my computer with Powerpoint open for about 5 straight hours.
  • To make myself feel productive I went to Target to buy dish soap for the hall and milk for me. I could have gone somewhere closer, but that wouldn't have wasted nearly enough time. 
  • Slipped in the parking lot on a wet line, stubbed my toe (why was I wearing flip-flops again?) blood everywhere. Limped inside Target to buy bandaids and neosporin. Unholy amount of blood is pouring out of my toe but is luckily contained to my flip flop so we don't need to worry about freaking Target out here. Children are passing me by and pointing at me, leading to their mothers giving me angry looks. I'm sorry for bleeding, really, I am, I'll try to control my ability to bleed in the future. Managed to get first aid needs easily, grabbed the soap and the milk so I wouldn't have to make a return trip. Bought the stuff, limped out of there and back to my car. By now it was pouring so I'm avoiding puddles like they're landmines so that I don't have to worry about getting gangrene. By some luck I have a wet nap in my car and am able to clean off the wound and dress it. My life is hard.
  • Went to squash.

4 comments:

OMP said...

Is this an attempt at twittering? Quite amusing, actually. Keep it up. --OMP

Marianna said...

Actually no, but now that you mention it it is sort of Twitter style. My brain must now be working that way.
It was more I had a lot of little stories that I wanted to tell but none of them constituted a full blog entry.

I do not Twitter. Twitter offends me.

OMP said...

For a glimpse of some of the pathologically self-involved people we have here see http://blogs.dailyprincetonian.com/2009/04/tigers-some-fun-tweets.html --OMP

Sarah Moody said...

i thought you were like a member of the zoo