Saturday, December 13, 2008

Expect a rise in patricide

Don't worry, OMP, this isn't about you
I'm in the finals stretch of thesis writing. I'm actually not nearly as panicked as I thought I'd be, more just tired and ready to be done. I got up this morning to head over to the Ludington Library, Bryn Mawr's town library, to do some work. I figured the change of location plus the more relaxed atmosphere would be a nice change. It was, I got quite a bit of work done. I also took the time to listen in on some conversations. 
Most of them were boring, but the one next to me had me perplexed. A young woman about my age was tutoring a young Korean man, probably a little younger than me, in English. The woman opens up a book and says "ok, let's start with some vocabulary, the first word is 'patricide'". The kid thought for a minute then said "that's killing your father, right". Now, forgive me if I'm crazy, but if I were learning a foreign language I don't think patricide would be a word I would really think was necessary enough to hire a tutor to teach me. I would focus more on words for every day life....food items, common phrases, swear words, etc. Nope, they continued to have a hour long discussion on patricide. They looked it up in various dictionaries, discussed proper usage, came up with example sentences (I committed patricide. You committed patricide). It was mindblowing. 

I could hardly contain myself when his father came to pick him up. I wanted to yell DON'T TRUST HIM! as they walked out the door. Instead I just turned around and stared at the beauty that is Mr. Ludington's portrait. 

5 comments:

Megan said...

after thinking about this way too much since you told me about it this morning, I have a hypothesis that perhaps the young korean dreams of being a greek literature professor who lectures in perfect English and really needs to learn terms like patricide, matricide, fratricide. that is the only reasonable situation I could come up with.

Anonymous said...

Patricide might be the new word for you to learn in as many languages as possible, once you have covered maliny-bringebær-framboise-raspberry. You can start with Polish: ojcobójstwo.

Marianna said...

Can you spell that phonetically?

Anonymous said...

Oy-tso-buoy'-stvo

Marianna said...

thank you, I'll try and use this in conversation in the next week