Tuesday, December 2, 2008

No respect whatsoever

I had to give a presentation on my thesis today. Here is a recap of the afternoons events
-My advisor took attendance of the day's presenters, reading everyones name aloud before muttering "and mrrrrr" then looking at me and nodding. For those of you keeping score at home I am now legally going by the name Mrrr Ba-oh christ.
-During the middle of her presentation one of my classmates went off on New Jersey. I did the obligatory mocking scoff, to show that I will stand up for my state, but acknowledge the joke. She kept going on until she got to "So what's the first thing you think of when you think New Jersey? You think wasteland, right? It's toxic and so are the people that live there". At this point I began to frantically search the room for fellow NJ-ers, there's always at least one. This was getting a little out of hand and I needed some solidarity. To my shock I found none. Instead the class was doing the awkward "lets casually look at her and see if she offended before we decide to laugh" glance at me. I decided to look as offended as possible, just to deny laughter. 
-It was pitch black in the classroom by the time I had my presentation because the sun had set and no one wanted to turn on the lights
-Everyone had left by the time I was to present, leaving me with about 6 people to present to. Not that I'm complaining about that one.

No respect.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Substitute "China" for New Jersey, and your classmate would be hauled off for sensitivity training in a second.