Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Just the way they like it

In case anyone missed it, it snowed yesterday. There was minimal snow on the ground by the time my 8:30 class commenced, so I wasn't expecting class to be cancelled. I stared out the window throughout class and noticed that it was building up. Very few people were walking by the window, no one was really coming in and out of the parking lot. I smiled, classes must be cancelled, snow day today! No, really the reason nothing was happening was that by that point it was 9:00 and no self respecting college student does anything before 10:00 and even then it's usually by force. After I got out of class at 10:00 I walked up to the campus center to find that the BMC world was alive with movement, classes were clearly still on. Oh well. I did some last minute homework at the computer center before catching the bus to Haverford for my second class of the day. At the Ford I slipped my way down to my class, satisfied that the increasingly heavy snow would definitely cancel my Penn class that night. After class I skiddaddled (is there a proper spelling for that word? or can you just make it up as you go?) over to the Blue Bus to get back to BMC in order to meet with some people about a presentation. I was busy as a bee. All throughout my meeting I kept checking my e-mail for updates about the class. Still not cancelled, still not cancelled. I logged into Penns student portal or whatnot and checked if it had been cancelled, no word. I tried and tried to log into my Penn e-mail but every combination of password I usually use didn't work. Keep logging into BMC e-mail, activities listserve, come to the Vagina Monologues, stuff like that, but no e-mail canceling class. It gets to the point where I have to leave for my train. I make myself pretty and rush off through the snow to the station. Hop on the train and bitterly make my way into the city. Once there I brave the snow and trek the eight blocks up to Penn. Everyone is making a mad dash to the train station while I head the other way. I get looks of "you're crazy" "turn back now" as dozens of people in scrubs run by me. Side note, are scrubs warm? I get the impression that they are thin and incredibly chilly, yet all of the doctors weren't wearing sweatpants over them or anything, just their scrubs. I finally make my way to Penn and barrel into Au Bon Pain for some soup. I am cold and hungry and I want some soup. They're out of everything except Rice, Bean and Sausage soup, or as I like to call it "throw some stuff in a pot" soup. You know what? It was delicious. I meet Ari over at our building and wait around until it's time for class. At 5:30 we head into our classroom and find that it's empty. A sinking feeling hits me. We both sit down, neither of us saying what we both know is happening. Another girl joins us, she hadn't checked her e-mail all day so she doesn't know if there was a class is cancelled e-mail or not. Another boy joins us, he just registered for the class yesterday so the prof doesn't have his e-mail yet. Another boy joins us, he is without a doubt an idiot so we don't trust him for anything. Ari finally broaches the subject.....do you think class was cancelled? The three whip out Blackberries and frantically search through their e-mail. Another guy goes to the podium computer and frantically searches his e-mail. Another guy comes in and does an "is class cancelled?" jig like thing. Finally a text message comes through on someones phone from a friend that class has in fact been cancelled. Much rejoicing from the Penn kids, lots of cursing from me and Ari. We bundle up and head back to the streets. By this point it's dark and instead of snowing is wintery mixing. It is disgusting out. The streets are slush filled, the wind is whipping ice into our faces, and we have eight blocks to walk. I am very angry. We curse the Bryn Mawr registrar for not passing on the e-mail like she is apparently supposed to (I did not know this, but Ari claims it's true). We get to the station to find that the next train is the Bryn Mawr express, which is a minor win for the day. We and every other snow and ice soaked business executive get on that and zip up to the Mawr. We step outside and it's like a whole new world. Whereas Philly had been icy, wet and grey, Bryn Mawr has a good five inches of fluffy, white, untouched snow. It looks almost like a painting. We're a bit taken aback. We trek through the snow back to school, passing the Baldwin School along the way. "ah, look at Baldwin" Ari muses, "Covered in a blanket of white...just the way they like it". burn.


I got back to my room and fired off a few changes to my presentation to the girl that's putting it all together. In my inbox was a frantic e-mail from the registrar sent just minutes after I left for the train "Ari and Marianna, your Penn class has been cancelled, I hope I'm not too late!". Points for effort. I guess I need to get myself a Blackberry. I then went to take a nap, or just to lie down. It was about 7:00 at this point. Next thing I know it's 2:00 in the morning and I'm wide awake. I look outside, the snow as stopped but there is at least seven inches of snow on the ground, streets included. Maybe classes will be cancelled tomorrow, I ponder. I get back to sleep around 4:00 and sleep until 8:00. I wake up and notice I haven't heard the Blue Bus at all. No one's walking down the halls. Cars aren't outside. Holy Crap! I exclaim! Class has been cancelled! I log into my e-mail to find that telltale message from Head of Public Safety Mike Hill "classes ARE in session today. Please use caution". Damn you, Mike Hill, you win again.

EDIT: At least some people (er...dogs) enjoyed the snow


5 comments:

PaigeS said...

You forgot the part where I tried valiantly to warn you against going into Philly because of how bad it was.

Lesson learned: always listen to Paige

Anonymous said...

When will the Penn class be made up? It should be made up, you know. --OMP

Megan said...

points for using the phrase "I was as busy as a bee" in this entry

Anonymous said...

1. I think Dad should be more upset that my Business in the EU class was canceled today. Do you know how much THAT cost me? But, the professor was in London which A. Means he's legit and B. I'm cursing him right now for being in my favorite city.

2. Get a Blackberry. Then we can BBM (Blackberry Messenger) for free! Well, I'd need to figure out how to use it first...

Marianna said...

Everyone please take a moment and remember Caroline's misfortunes. The poor girls life is truly terrible