It has taken me two weeks to write this entry. Every day I think of writing it up, every day I open up blogger, every day I close it, unable to finish it. Here's the problem. Sarah and I have been best friends since freshman year of high school. We've hung out countless times over the past 8 years. When she came to visit, we did typical Sarah and Marianna things, such as watched television, stared at each other, and walked around. Stuff no one really cares about. We also did non-typical Sarah and Marianna stuff, like attend the Rockefeller St. Patrick's Day party. Unfortunately any description of this event would leave me completely unemployable. So anything I wrote was either boring....or unpublishable. Here is my best effort and I apologize that it cannot fully describe what was a fantastic weekend.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Later in life a group of friends from high school came over. Again we were hanging out in the front yard when my 8 year old neighbor came out of his house waving an antique rifle around. While I assume it was not loaded....really you can't be too sure these days. Those friends never came back.
I resigned myself to keeping friend groups separate. One time Kelsey came to visit me at Bryn Mawr and I didn't even let her see my dorm while my friends were around, instead throwing her into my car and taking her to the mall. Another time Ch'nel came to visit and I took her to Dunken Donuts for a few hours, she still hasn't forgiven me for that one.
I was thus concerned when my friend Sarah e-mailed me and asked if she could come spend the night as she was on spring break. I have visited Sarah at her respective schools before and couldn't really think fast enough to come up with an excuse, so I agreed. I prepared her for different friends, going over their typical mannerisms and habits. I prepared my school friends for a friend visiting. Reminding them all of the time I brought a friend home and my hooligan neighbors beat her with sticks, implying that I didn't want to have to go through that again. After everyone agreed to be on their best behavior I sat back and waited.
Sarah arrived on the Friday afternoon of the first weekend of March Maddness. My tv antenna had recently broken so I was relying on a crappy cable that I had stolen from Princeton and connected to the wall for reception. It wasn't ideal, but it worked. When she pulled into The Mawr, there were numerous close matches just ending up, so she had to spend her first few BMC moments watching me leaning in towards my tiny television and squinting to see scores. She should be used to it by now.
After that finished up we went up to town to get delicious Bakery House cupcakes. I pointed out the landmarks along the way such as Sunoco, the abandoned Dunken Donuts, the abandoned Jaguar dealer and the abandoned pool supply store. You can really tell that the recession is hitting the Main Line when their pool supply store goes under...although that happened about 2 years ago. We snacked on cupcakes as we bought some supplies for the St Patricks Day party that night then headed back to campus.
It was time to take the plunge and introduce her to my friends. It was also dinner time, which meant introductions were unavoidable. I prepared her for everyone to stress out about dinner, needing to leave by exactly five or else terrible things would happen. Unfortunately when I got to the triple 5 minutes before dinner, no one was there. For some reason this was the one night that no one was ready for dinner on time. You've got to be kidding me! Four years of people freaking out if everyone's not ready for dinner at five and they have to pick tonight to relax that rule. I look like a douche.
Luckily we're able to round everyone up and begin introductions. They going swimmingly. I'm still not convinced this is going to work out, I'm ready for someone just to throw a punch, it never happens. Dinner is enjoyable, conversation pleasant, people seem happy. I begin to relax, maybe this will go well.
After dinner Sarah and I watch a few episodes of my new favorite television show "How I Met Your Mother" (FANTASTIC SHOW!) before heading over to the triple for some pre-party festivities. As we sat around we pulled out the romance novel that Megan found in the free box and played our favorite game "pick a random page and read whatever you see first out loud" Great game, fantastic book, we still haven't figured out the plot line, but we'll have it down by the end of the year.
Post book reading will not be described. Let's just move on to Saturday morning.
Good times.
I enjoy having visitors because it gives me a reason to go to Minellas diner for brunch the next morning, so of course Sarah and I drove over there as soon as we wake up. I proceeded to down three cups of coffee and four glasses of water to accompany my delicious french toast. If anyone is in the Main Line area I highly suggest Minellas.
Unfortunately I was under the impression that I had to go into Penn to work on my project so I had to bid adieu to Sarah soon after brunch ended. It was a quick visit, but a memorable one. For those of you who want to read more about what happened during my visit to Penn, please read a few entries below.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
After saying goodbye to Sarah and having my meeting at Penn cancelled right before I reached the city, I grabbed Ch'nel and drove up to Seton Hall University for my friend Stacey's birthday. Had a great night up there playing various television trivia games (which Stacey BEASTED us at) and learning Wii. I'm about 3 years behind this Wii craze, but I am slowly getting hooked. She and her roommate Melissa took us to a fantastic diner (gotta love the diners) the next morning where I had delicious banana pancakes.
So a belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! to Stacey
Long story short? A fantastic weekend filled with excellent brunches.
1 comment:
you could have added more about lord weldin... i think most of that was family friendly lol
Post a Comment